There are some parts of this going back to school thing that are just like riding a bike.
Going to class, taking notes, attempting to find common ground and likemindedness between your peers in order to pick their brains for study tips or to see if they may have heard something that you missed or just try to make a new friend. All of these things are easy habits to get back into.
The habits that have been harder for me to cultivate have been those including how to balance what I am doing and need to be doing for school with what I need to be doing to maintain the level of comfort I have become accustomed to over the years with work.
You see, in the restaurant business, having a Saturday night off is an unheard of Godsend. It is a treat to have off because, since it is one of the busier nights of the week, it's usually an all hands on deck type scenario.
That is the pleasure I have in front of me this evening, so what am I doing to celebrate? Am I seeing Top Gun in IMAX 3D? No, but that WILL happen this week. Am I hitting the town getting my Mardi Gras on? Heck No! I am spending this time doing what needs to be done, catching up on my reading and beginning to study for my first exam since December of 2001.
And I couldn't be happier.
I am constantly inundated, almost daily, by how much has changed in the last 11 years. Not only by the things I see on campus, whether it be the new buildings, or the attire of the fraternity guys or sorority girls, but also in how I am approaching this opportunity this time around. I am so grateful to have this second chance at this that I don't want to take it for granted in the least.
And it's due to that, not to mention the overwhelming support I have received and continue to receive from you all, that I sit here tonight, learning how visual feedback aides in perfecting a motor skill and how certain levels of health interact with one another in order to provide a healthy homeostasis in the body.
I am enjoying college this time, so much more than I ever could have imagined. I'm kinda sad it will only be a year and a half experience this time around, but I will live it to the fullest.
For instance, I have been in school 4 weeks and have already done stuff that i didn't do in four and a half years the first time. Visited all of my professors in office hours? Check. Read the chapters in the book before the lecture as opposed to directly before the test? Check. Gone to a softball game? Check.
By the way, I am no softball master, but I have seen my share. The Horns are fielding a good team this year. Looks like we have a good balance of power and speed and a really, really good pitcher, which in softball makes all the difference in the world. This was my first experience but won't be my last.
Once again, I want to thank all of you for your continued support in this massive undertaking. As we learned in my Health class this week, having a GOOD support structure is a key in reducing stress and aiding in increased happiness and you all are providing that for me and I couldn't be more blessed.
To another topic I learned about this week, I need to get to sleep because that aides in healthy living. Y'all have a great night. Let the good times roll. Love each other and love yourselves. Do something goofy and just enjoy the ride you're on.
I'll be back later this week for an update on my test this Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment