So, I am officially one week into being a returning student at the University of Texas and it feels great. Being back on campus, experiencing the life of a college student through a different set of eyes, figuratively and literally(thank you LASIK surgery), than I had 11+ years ago is so awesome.
But what feels more awesome is the outpouring of love and support I have gotten from all of you. It really means the world to me, you have no idea. It is because of this support that I will continue to keep you updated on the goings on in my life on the 40 Acres.
So, as of a week in, I have one overwhelming thought; renting books sucks... a lot.
I decided to go the rental route as the cost-effective alternative to buying and saved myself over $200 which is awesome, until you factor in the fact that we are starting week two of class and my books aren't in yet. I am told that they should be around tomorrow sometime, but that would make the turnaround from rental date to reception of materials to be right at 10 days.
To put that in perspective, I ordered a handmade, monogrammed DodoCase for my iPad the same day and have already received it. Needless to say, I am not pleased with this development as it has put me behind on my reading in all of my classes and one of my professors teaches pretty much from text and elaborates on the points made in the book.
This too shall pass but it's annoying and I hate playing catch up.
Oh, well, back in the classroom tomorrow at 8am, and will be back with you all later this week.
Thanks again for all of the support.
Congrats on going back to school!! I dropped out for a year and this past fall was my first real semester back. I remember the feeling of getting back into the swing of things and how intimidating it can be. I was going to give you a tip on your books. Since you have an iPad, you can get the Kindle app on it totally for free. If you do this, you can rent your textbooks through Amazon in an e-book form (granted they have them in that form). This saves a TOOOOOOON of money! I rented a textbook of mine that was going to cost me like 40 bucks (not including shipping) for $16. It's cheap AND you get it instantly on your device; no more worrying about playing catch up! Another perk is that you only need your iPad, so no more heavy books taking up space in your bag and weighing you down. Anyway, I just figured all this out myself, and unfortunately textbooks on the subject of dance are not that popular, so most of them aren't available as e-books. I did get one, though, and I think it was going to be the heaviest, so I'm happy about that. Just thought I'd share! :) Good luck this semester!
ReplyDelete